Have you ever driven by a golf course and thought to yourself, “Wow, I really wish I golfed, but I have no idea where I would even start?” or reminisced with your friends and thought, “I wish I knew this before I started!”
Well, we decided to poll our golf courses through social media and find out what the golfers wish they knew before they started or what their best advice for new golfers were and here are some of the responses:
- Stick with it! Be patient and have fun!
- Practice and enjoy the game and remember that it is only a game.
- Accuracy over distance!
- Golf is a game that cannot be beat, remember that and have fun!
- After your game, go relax and talk over things you could have done differently to improve your strokes.
- The ball is not going to go straight every time you hit it. Don’t get frustrated, and focus on your next swing.
- Play your ability and not your ego! So if you need a little bit of assistance, take it.
- Don’t give up too easily, even the professionals have off days.
- Tee the ball to the correct height. Tee high for drivers and low for irons.
- Take lessons at your local course.
- Ask questions!
- And last, but not least, always remember that a bad day of golf is still better than a good day at work.
I guess what we can gather from all the responses is that golf is a game of fun, relaxation and time with friends, family and those we love (even if we want to beat them on that scorecard). Always remember to hold your head up and swing with meaning, because even if you miss the green it’s better than sitting at work.